Monday, May 23, 2011

How To Applique With Your Embroidery Machine - Stitching a Single-Color Design

I have a confession to make - when I first opened up my embroidery machine, I was afraid to applique. Only when I started digitizing my own embroidery designs did I realize how simple it is to hoop and stitch a beautiful applique design. Now, I'm an absolute applique addict. Nothing in my daughter's wardrobe is without a design.

Over the next few days, I'll walk you through the steps of stitching one, two, and three-color applique designs on your embroidery machine. Here's how to get started with a one-color design.

For this tutorial, I'll be using my vintage Barbie silhouette design. It's available here. But you can use any single-color applique design.
1.       Stitch the silhouette outline on your fabric.

2.       Remove the hoop from your machine and, using temporary spray adhesive, adhere your applique fabric to your project over the outline.

3.       Place the hoop back in your machine and stitch the second outline over your applique fabric.

4.       Remove the hoop from your machine and, with the project still in the hoop, iron your applique fabric with a dry iron. This will help to dissipate the temporary spray adhesive.

5.       Using embroidery or applique scissors cut your applique fabric very close to the stitched outline, leaving less than 1/8.” Take care not to clip any of the stitches.

6.       Place the hoop back in the machine and stitch the final outline.
 It really is that simple and fool-proof to stitch an applique, and it only takes a few minutes. Tomorrow, I'll walk you through a more complex two-color design.

No comments:

Post a Comment